Jul 10, 2007

Macedonian Schnopps, Serbian Stories, Polish Plans

A lot has happened since my last update, but I've been busy and content at work (my normal posting-location) so I haven't been able to fill you in.

This weekend was the IAESTE Vienna weekend for over 150 IAESTE, AMSA (American Medical Students Association), and AIESEC (formerly the "Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales" but now an all-encompassing international student organization). Friday night there was a meet-and-greet party at the Technical University. The event had a lot of free stuff like unlimited bread and spreads from Ströck (a very common Austrian bakery more prevalent than Tim's), and, unfortunately, the Macedonians (whom I became good friends with) were giving out vast quantities of Macedonian Schnopps (which is 65+%). Needless to say, on the way home I spoke 'fluent' German, and spent all of Saturday lying in bed. The moral of the story is: Macedonians can hold far more liquor than any mortal Canadian.

On Sunday Henrik, MA, and I visited the Gasometers and Zentralfriedhof. The Gasometers were really cool, but Henrik still has the photos on his camera, so I can't share them yet. The Gasometers are essentially 4 giant 90,000 cubic meter brick gas tanks used by the city of Vienna from 1899-1984. During the 90s they were the scene of giant week-long raves, a reputation they're still trying to detach themselves from. In 1995 the city decided to develop them into a community, finishing them in 2001. All 4 are completely different on the inside but maintain their original exteriors (including the 20ft diameter pressure gauges on the front of each). Now they contain everything from a movie theatre to apartments to a mall complete with a Gasometer McDonalds. I will come back later and add photos when I get them from Henrik, until then check them out on Wikipedia using the link above.

As the Zentralfriedhof was only 2 stops away and MA and Henrik hadn't been there yet I took them to show them around. All my Zentralfriedhof pictures and stories can be found in my post from June 10th.

Today at work I helped Rakesh build a new type of reference electrode for the systems we have been studying, something which I don't think has been done (well) to date. It worked seamlessly the first time we tried it, which made all the tedious glove-box work worth it. Today I also helped Szilvia with IR Spectroscopy analysis for her research. Szilvia is a PhD student from Serbia, and a good friend of mine. Today she told me all about the 78 days in 1999 when NATO bombed Kosovo as well as her home town (both are in Serbia, Kosovo is a province in the Southwest). She was in University at the time, and had to write her exams during the bombings, one was even canceled by the air-raid siren). She had to move to her grandmothers house along with her brother, mother, and pet parrot, as their 6th floor apartment by the Danube was too much of a target. When you think of the Kosovo bombings, or any bombings for that matter, you become so detached, you don't realise that its real people, with exams and pet parrots. One really interesting story hit me harder than any of the others due to its simplicity. The attacks occurred in the spring, including over the Easter holiday. Szilvia (who was around 20 at the time) was making bunny-shaped Easter cookies with her Grandmother. As she was taking them to the kitchen, a B52 bomber passed very low overhead, enough to shake the ground violently. She abandoned the cookies and got under the kitchen table with her brother and cousin. It sounds like something out of a Cold War era instructional video, but it actually happened. A 20 year-old student, taking an exam study break to bake Easter cookies with her Grandmother cowering under a table in case the B52 over her house decides to bomb some 'target' close by. She also remembered watching CNN coverage and being terrified by the blatant inaccuracies. For example, her small city, which was being bombed regularly, was being labeled as the second largest city in Kosovo, which is an entirely different province. Really makes you put things in perspective.

Finally, on Thursday Henrik and I leave for Krakow, Poland on the night train, and are being met by MA and Fatima on Friday for the IAESTE Krakow weekend. On Friday Henrik and I are going to Kazimierz, which is the historic Jewish district, and Auschwitz. It promises to be a very emotionally charged day, but something that can't be missed, in my opinion. On Saturday we go to the Wieliczka Salt Mine, which looks amazing. We're all leaving on the night train on Sunday so we'll have plenty of time to explore the city, and take lots of photos. I promise to take some photos with me in them this time (or risk being disowned by friends and family).

Sorry for the lack of photos, but there will be plenty more to come.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe...Love the detail and interpretation.

Did the Macedonians have you dancing the "oro" while under the influence?

Love Hagatha xo

Anonymous said...

Joe..Let me know if you hear the reference to "Canada" 1941-1944 at Auschwitz camps.

Love Mom xoxo

Anonymous said...

The Gorgeous One aka SAMMMMM

how goes it?? person related to me by blood..unfortunately..ha ha no seriously..my life is amazing...like always..especially right now cause dads on holidays Woot fun stuff!! instead of seeing him in the evenings i get to see him morning to evening everyday yay!! i do not like this predicament...he makes me get off the couch BOO him...well in latest news in brock-vegas that i have paid attention to is that someone set st mary and JL jordan on fire..well sheds or portables or something and all st marys football stuff and alot of windows on the skool or w/e are damaged..i think like 100,000 dollars damage jus at st mary...whoo big newss...guess wut came out today!!! HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX!! and guess who didn't get to see it ME! dam them all..i want to go right nowww...new slag in the day is now key-ler (well thats how u pronounce it) haha from the hicks of morrisburg..ya.key-ler...u.suck..yay...so wut presents have u bought me..pony's...slaves...weapons of mass destruction are all acceptable..woo almost forgot CANDY..everybody loves candy..whoo your still jealous of my abs of steele haha get it my last name is steele so my abs r actually steele but its ironic cause its suppost to be like the metal steal which is hard..haha a tid bit of giggles right there on that one...do u get it...no u don't..ya thats cause your stupid god joeyy read a frikken book or something...your jus jealous of my gorgeousness..don't be sad no one except me can master this level of perfection...well thats 2 be expected cause i am going to be the goddess of the universe..bow down to me..yay...joey i kno u miss me..thats y i give u permission to create a montage of me on your blog..uhh this is hard 4 me..i hate attention..but go ahead i kno its important 2 u...i guess i can count that my good deed for this year...or darn it i jus realized ..do u have to comment about the blog or jus your nasty disgustingness of your face..haha sam burn....ok heres my comment..ready...u win the prize for the most words YAY!!..ok i'll give u a second to celebrate.....(right now jeopardy music).................................ok for 300 Alex...how amazing is Sam Steele...(answer)to much to even be humanly calculated....i win...o ya back to my comment but unfortunately u lose the 10 million billion cangillion dollar prize for...the most amount of pictures of your sister...(right now feel free to cry and be sad and disappointed)............i feel tho in my heart that this can be repaired...i don't do this often but i'll give u some of my highly valued advice..PICTURES OF ME GOOD!! so i'll leave u now..to ponder this...love ya bunches...
SSSSSAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! XOXOXOOXOXOXOXOOXOXO

p.s. i left salad dressing in my room for like a fortnight(2 weeks if ya don't no that, which ya didn't) and it like grew into a colony..haha it was grose and mom made me throw it out...she recked my plan of feeding it 2 scotty, snotty, potty....alrighty well ttyl bye bye Do Do ;)
i kno u miss driving me around to places and our singing/dancing sessions in the silver stallion aka the van..hah...scotty won't get his g2 or sing/dance..cause hes a big but head.

Jess said...

I'm very happy to hear you're going to take pictures of yourself! And the friends. I want to see the friends too....

Auschwitz is going to be surreal, I'm sure. Can't even imagine... Amazing though...

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe:
Great reading. You are sure learning a lot from your new friends. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your job, and your new apartment. Your family is off to the show tonight so I'll say goodbye.Love you,
Your old aunt Marilyn...