Jul 20, 2007

Liechtenstein and Harry Potter

As everyone who doesn't live under a rock knows, Harry Potter 7 is being released tomorrow. As I am a self-confessed Harry Potter addict, the thought of doing anything other than reading this weekend is laughable. However, as I am in Austria, and I have an unlimited Summer train pass, I'm putting my time spent reading to good use.

Tonight at 1:01am I will pick up my copy of Harry Potter, and some cake, from the bookstore downtown. This will allow me to get on the 7:30am train to Salzberg-Innsbruck-Feldkirch before the stores open at 9:30. The train through the mountains takes 7hours to reach Feldkirch, a small Austrian city right on the border with Liechtenstein. The otherwise long train ride will fly by thanks to Harry Potter. Why spend 7h reading in your room, when you can spend 7h reading on a train and get off in Liechtenstein? I love Europe.

I have booked a hostel in Feldkirch for Saturday and Sunday night, so I plan to rent a bike for two days and bike around the tiny country of Liechtenstein, stopping at castles and other points of interest for a break and some reading. On Sunday I might also cross the border to Switzerland for a few hours, just for fun.

Monday morning I board the first train back, but, as I have an unlimited train pass, I plan to get off in Innsbruck and spend about 6 hours touring the city and taking photos before returning to Vienna. If all goes according to plan, I should arrive back in Vienna around 10:30pm, with a camera full of photos, a head full of memories, and a finished Harry Potter book.

1 comment:

Megan Reilly said...

OMG Joey, Harry Potter is seriously like CRACK!!!!! I haven't been able to put it down!!!! Let me know when you've finished it so we can discuss!!!!
PS. I went the chapters at 12:01 am Friday night to get my book and stood in the CRAZY long line for an hour so I could get the book asap... you've turned me into a crazy fan just like you!!!!!