Jul 1, 2007

Happy Canada Day - My Big Move

HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Yesterday I moved from my crappy double-room residence in the 7th district to an amazing single-room apartment style residence in the 9t District. My new building is called Albert Schweitzer Haus (ASH).My new address is:
Garnisongasse 14-16 / 109
A-1090, Wien, Austria

We took our first load of stuff to ASH early in the morning, only to find out that the rooms wouldn't be ready until 3. As I had no desire to go back to my room, I decided to walk to the market then to Belvedere Palace.

The gardens of the palace are being fully restored, so most of the fountains were dry and partially disassembled.
The large lawns in front of the palace are being restored to their original 'patterned bedding'. The front two lawns are finished and look really cool.
You had to pay to go in, so I just grabbed a picture of the entrance hall and left. I later learned that the palace holds the Austrian (Art) Gallery.
The front of the palace with a huge reflecting pond.
After leaving the palace, I crossed the street to a park and read some of my book.Now for some pictures of my amazing new room. It's a single room that looks like its been pulled out of an IKEA catalogue.
Every room shares a bathroom and kitchen with one other room. I share mine with MA. Our kitchen has a 4-burner stovetop, sink, minifridge and lots of cupboards. The cupboard over the sink shows the cool built-in drying rack.
The shower is the only downside of the whole apartment. The shower floor is really shallow, so its hard to keep the curtain and water inside, and if you put the shower on full-force the water doesn't drain fast enough...
As I'm sure you can figure out, the thing on the wall above the toilet is the flushing buttons, for big or little flushes, which makes so much sense. ASH has a brand-new gym with 2 ellipticals, 2 stationary bikes, an erg, a weight machine, a punching bag, and a tv that plays BBC World. Believe it or not, I've actually used the gym twice in less than 24h, that's more exercise than I've had since... October? One other perk of the building is the 7th floor terraces. On one side the building there is a large area with tables and chairs, but no view. On the other side of the building there's a long balcony with amazing views.
ASH is brand-new, but the front of the building is heritage. Right now its being restored and is completely covered, so I'll show it to you when it's finished.Standing at the front of the building you can see the back of the Votivkirche, which I've shown you before.
That's it for now, I have to figure out how to get to work tomorrow.

3 comments:

Megan Reilly said...

Joey, your new room seems amazing!!! I'm so happy for you!!!! Yesterday I went to Parliament Hill to watch the fireworks and they were really amazing!! I hope even though you weren't in Canada you still had an awesome Canada day!!!!
Megan

Andrea said...

Opps. I'm new to this blogging thing and I commented at the bottom. I'll paste it here also:

Hi Joe,

I spoke to your mom and sister at their garage sale on the weekend and am so excited for you. Your latest adventure is fantastic. I've just skimmed through some of your postings and it sounds like you have a great balance between wonderful and dubious experience--which, makes for interesting blogging. I hope the new move serves you well.

We are busy here raising our son. He's quite a little character and certainly keeps us busy. He's doing much better after several scary months. Speaking of adventure...parenthood!

I look forward to reading your future updates.

Ms. Cameron (Andrea)

Jess said...

ok, i oficially want your life. or i would if i knew anything about engineering.
really, i just want to live somewhere with history....... maybe someday when i've actually been employed for a while..............