Jun 26, 2007

Sorry for the wait

Sorry that I haven't posted in so long. Since I've last posted really only 2 interesting things have happened.

Last Thursday there was a terrible thunderstorm with very high winds. The winds toppled construction cranes, ripped some roofs off some houses, and led to Barbara Streisand cancelling her much hyped concert at Schönbrunn. That day on my way home from work, I was sitting on the train when I heard a really loud bang followed by a loud scraping noise. I looked up from my book to see leaves whipping by the train, then coming in a window further down the compartment. Apparently lightning had struck a tree which then fell onto my train! The branches had brushed along the train until they found a partially-open window, pushed it down, and landed in the train. Needless to say we stopped, the ticketman came in, looked at the branches, and shoved them back out without really looking surprised. The one day to not have my camera on me! From what I heard the next day, I had it good. Due to trees falling on the tracks ALL the trains were delayed and some people who didn't leave work until an hour or two after me didn't get home until almost midnight.

On Saturday I went with the IAESTE people to Donauinselfest. It is the largest free outdoor music festival in the world, with 27 stages, and about 3 million people over the course of the weekend. You could find anything from Austrian Folk music to Jazz to Death Metal, it was pretty cool. We listened to some Austrian pop star for a while, then MA and I wandered around looking for something better. We never really stayed in one place, and decided to head back towards the U-Bahn station, and watch the fireworks from there, to beat the rush afterwards.

I have a picture that I took on the way back to the station.
The fireworks were really cool, with some new ones I've never seen before.

On Sunday I wandered around the city a bit with my book, then came back home and watched 'Gone With the Wind' and 'Citizen Kane'. If you're wondering why I chose those, it is because my boss, Rakesh, is a big movie fan, and told me about the new 2007 revised AFI's Top 100 American Movies list. When I discovered that I had only seen 25/100, and only 1 in the top 5, I decided to download some and watch them on rainy days (which we've had a lot of recently).

Alright, I should get back to work.

PS. I move in less than 94hours!

4 comments:

KT said...

Are you staying in the same area but have your own room, or are you moving to a different residence?

Joe said...

I'm moving to a whole new building on the other side of town. The rooms are newly renovated, and SINGLE!

Megan Reilly said...

AHHHHHHHHH!!!! My package is so not going to get to you in time!!!!!! I'm so sad!!!


Megan

Jess said...

There's stuff to do in that city all the freaking time! I wish Vancouver was like that... Actually, it very well might be. I don't really have time to notice these things.

So, are big storms like that common there?