Sep 23, 2007

Il Barbiere di Siviglia and the Kahlenberg

On Saturday I wandered around Mariahifestraße with Cora, looking for a new pair of shoes and a jacket. I didn't find either, but picked up some stuff that I needed, like some new shirts to add to the 7 shirt rotation. Living with the contents of a suitcase for 12 months can get a bit repetative, I feel like I have my Monday clothes, Tuesday clothes, etc..

We decided to see Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) on Saturday at the Staastoper. I figured, if it was boring we could just leave at intermission, but it was really really good, especially considering that we payed 2€. I definitely think that the first opera I saw 'Otello' gave me the wrong impression of operas. The two I've seen since have been funny, with slap-stick comedy, jokes, an easy-to-follow plot, and many moments where the music is so recognisable you could hum along.
Sunday I went to the Kahlenberg and Leopoldsberg with Cora, Szilvia, and her brother Laslo. On the way to the tram I passed a marching band just wandering down the street, I wonder where they were going?Laslo drove us from his residence to the Kahlenberg which is a monastery on a mountain that looks out over the city. It was nice, but the sky was so hazy that you really couldn't see much. From the Kahlenberg we walked the 20min to Leopoldsberg, a fortress-monastery, more rustic and medieval looking than the Kahlenberg.

Szilvia and Cora tried out the kids ride, a random thing to find in a medieval fortress/church. Well worth the 50 cents, it even played music.Here's a picture of me in front of the church overlooking Vienna, further proof that I actually am still alive and healthy.Szilvia, Laslo, and I taking time to contemplate life, love, and how happy we were that Cora finally got rid of her walking stick.After taking what seemed like hundreds of photos at Leopoldsberg, we walked back to the car and drove to a restaurant called 'Centimeter III'. There are seven Centimeter restaurants in Vienna (all numbered I-VII). They are inexpensive restaurants where you can buy many things by the length ex. sausages, bread, pasta, beer (1m of beer is a long board with 8 different pint glasses on it), etc.. While sitting at the restaurant we decided that the next time Szilvia goes home to Novi Sad, Serbia, Cora and I will go too. Laslo's visa runs out in two weeks, so this way we'll be able to hang out without Laslo sneaking back into Austria in a truck hidden under bags of potatoes. We'll also take a day trip to Belgrade. The only downside of visiting Serbia is the 7h bus ride, on a smoking bus...

Thursday night I move into my new apartment and then leave for Munich, so there'll be plenty to post about later next week.

4 comments:

KT said...

I was speaking to Julia and she had mentioned that you could find some nice casual clothes, which wouldn't be too expensive at either H&M or Zara. You could find both downtown, Zara is in the Haas Haus and for H&M check out Kaerntnerstraße.

Joe said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I also bought some stuff from H&M, there are 4 on Mariahilfestraße alone (there is even one at both exits of the Neubaugasse U-Bahn stop), and probably a good dozen in the city.

Jess said...

um hi. Is it wrong that with this post I'm most jealous about the shopping? WITHOUT ME! That's illegal, Joe. We have a personal shopper contract. I miss shopping soooo much. No one in Vancouver is superficial enough. I keep whining to Joey about it.
Oh what a tough life I lead....

PS You better be having a freaking amazing time in Germany cuz I'm bored out of my mind...

Tooth Sculptor said...

Hi there. I've been through reading the blog and WOW! What an amazing experience you've got there. Are you an exchange student in Austria? Hohoho...I envy you. Good luck.

toothsculptor.blogspot.com