Aug 27, 2007

Day 110

I left for Austria on May 10, and will be returning for Christmas vacation on December 16th, a period of 220 days. Therefore, today, my 110th day, is the half way point, and roughly the 1/3 point for my entire internship. It is so hard to believe that I've been here for 110 days. So, I've decided to reflect on what has changed, and what has stayed the same since I've been here.

Before I left I had only ever been in 3 countries (Canada, US, Mexico). Now I'm up to 11 (Canada, US, Mexico, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary) with realistic plans to visit at least 6 more (England, France, Belgium, Italy, Slovenia, Greece).

Before I left the longest I had ever been out of Canada was for 11 days, now I've already surpassed that 10x's!

Before I left I had been on a train only a handful of times (max 8), now I take 3-4 trains a day, 5 days a week. (If when I return to Canada I never ride a train again I will be eternally grateful)

Before my 'foreign' friends were Canadian students at Queens who were born in the Philippines, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Africa etc.. but had been living in Canada for the majority of their life. Now I know people from all over the world, and they actually live there! I have coworkers from Columbia, Portugal, Serbia, Spain, Ukraine, Russia, Germany, Turkey, Uruguay, the Czech Republic, and India!

Some things that have stayed the same: I download all of my TV (with the exception of the BBC), I live mainly on a diet of spaghetti, biscuits, ice cream, and Diet Coke, and I see all the big movies in the theatre (in English).

Things I miss:
- family/friends
- 430 1/2 (my old home in Kingston)
- the river
- incandescent light
- timbits
- polite waitresses
- catching random bits of conversations in public
- good reliable produce
- fluffy white bread (they have it but it can be hard to find)
- whole wheat pasta
- open stores/banks (a sight I rarely see anymore)
- buying things on Sunday
- driving
- Swiss Chalet
- unlimited Internet
- the drugstore isle of the grocery store

Things I don't miss:
- flying insects (there are so few 'bugs' here that NONE of the windows have screens)
- KSTs
- Matlab

Hopefully the next 110 days are filled with as much travel, fun, and adventure as the previous 110. They will include: the return of the students (new friends?), Oktoberfest in Munich, Neuschwannstein in Füssen, Halloween in Paris, Christmas fairs in Salzburg and Vienna, and many other things that'll just pop up along the way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe..the last time I was in K'town went by 430 1/2 and it had a sale sign out front.

The place looked deserted.

Love Mom xo

Anonymous said...

Hey Joey,

Just thought you'd like to know that they were setting up a webcam in my office today so far away people can watch the blasting of the swimming pool area of the Queen's Centre. It should be online soon.

~Vic

Jess said...

Half way??? That's it?!?!

This being 3000-6000 miles away stuff is killer.

And how come we're both online at the same time more when there's a 9 hour time difference than when there's a 6 hour one???

OK, rant over. Only a few more days on this side of the country and then life will go back to normal...

I don't know which month I'm coming in anymore... might be Feb, March or April depending on jobs. Which I'm trying desperately to sort out asap.

Anyway, miss you.

-jess

ps me, joey and david made stuffed peppers yesterday.

Anonymous said...

where do you download your tv from?

Joe said...

I use torrents from Mininova.org and Azureus, who's asking?

Anonymous said...

Joey!
Unlike your mom, i still have keys to 430-1/2 and I "broke" in last Wednesday. It's still empty and looks horrible without all of our crap in it (well the couch and chair are still there holding their own). I almost cried!
I'm spending my first full day living in Ottawa and it's been alright. My place is nice and I can get almost anywhere by bike/bus but it's not the same as Kingston. I think I'm going back this weekend for some grease pole action and 2am keggers! I'll slam a jacket for you buddy.

Keep up the studious-ness. We all miss you terribly and for this reason I'm almost happy I'm not there. I don't know if I could stand not living with you and Bien.

Muah!
Jaymie

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe:
What's new, I took your place for supper tonight.
Your Dad worked at my place today. He is replacing all the trim around the doors, and also the baseboards.
You will see some changes at my place. I got a new 32" TV. Your Dad said I needed a new one.
It's nice to know I'll see you in less than 110 days.
Sam starts school tomorrow. She doesn't know where the time has gone. She will have a busy year, with keeping up her great marks.
Well I need to get home, bye for now. I'm enjoying reading your blog, keep up the good work. Be sure to have fun. Miss you!! Love you!! MG